Principal Electrical Engineer
Category | Research & Development Job Type | Regular Full-Time/Part-Time | Full time Remote | No
IntroductionWe are seeking a talented, motivated, and experienced Principal Electrical Engineer to join iRobot's team
As a member of the Electrical Engineering team, you will be a key contributor chartered with ensuring our electrical designs meet cost targets and schedules.
You will have active participation in a new product development design review with electrical team members and our OEM partners.
You will also work closely with our Bedford and APAC (Asia-Pacific) Operations team in addressing printed circuit board assembly (PCBA) yield issues and resolving single-source component risks. You will lead OEM projects as well as electrical failure analysis of factory and customer units. You will also research/recommend/test and implement cost reduction improvements.
You will leverage your experience as a Principal engineer to provide technical support and mentoring of our junior staff members, enhancing the team’s overall knowledge base and capability.
What you Will Do:
- Plan, manage and support electrical efforts for all iRobot Roomba, Braava and docking stations
- Hands on qualification of various electronic components, including micro controllers, motor drivers, audio amplifiers, transistors, power supplies, and more.
- Work with manufacturing teams overseas to understand and support yield issues.
- Work with teams outside of the electrical team, ie mechanical, software, systems, program management, etc.
- Actively participate in the EE department with contributions to design reviews, process improvements and training opportunities.
- Understand system level risk and impact on customer experience with all aspects of a design
- Troubleshoot design and manufacturing issues
- Characterization and qualification of components and modules
- Manage relationship with New Product Introduction (NPI) teams to ensure the future roadmap has lessons learned from sustaining.
- Lead and participate in multiple source qualification of electronics.
- Assess and track end of life risks to components in cooperation with component engineering and the supply chain organization.
To Be Successful You Will Have:
- A self-starter, driven, passionate developer who can work independently in a team environment and enjoys the challenges of delivering proven solutions.
- Strong knowledge and experience with AC/DC electronics
- Analog, digital, and DC to DC converter experience for microcontroller/embedded applications
- Experienced with 120/240VAC electronics
- Experienced with working with brushed AC/DC motors and sensor-ed/sensor-less BLDC motors as well as motor driver controllers
- Proven ability to create and execute design verification testing (DVT) on circuit designs
- Knowledge of industry best practices for excellent EMI/ESD performance at minimal cost
- Ability to make tradeoffs and be decisive when selecting electronic components on designs
- Proven ability to work on multiple concurrent projects
- Failure analysis experience
- Hands-on experience with oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, multi-meters, soldering irons, and other common electrical engineering tools used during PCBA testing and measurement
- Possess strong communication skills
- B.S. degree in Electrical Engineering
- 7+ years of relevant experience
Desired Skills and Experience:
- M.S. degree in Electrical Engineering
- Experienced with high volume customer products being manufactured overseas
- Experienced with high-speed design
- Experienced with circuit simulation tools (SPICE, Hyperlynx, etc.)
- Altium Designer schematic/layout design experience for PCBs
- PTC Windchill PLM tool experience
- Familiar with Linux command line
- Familiar with Python
- Experienced with robotic systems
- Willing to travel – occasionally (approximately, 1-2 weeks per year) for factory and customer site visits.